Monday, August 08, 2005

Sex in the City--Episode Two


station under controversy...sort of... Posted by Picasa


"We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future" -
George Bernard Shaw


Even though one of the staff from CITI's Marketing department told me last week that the (explicit) ad for the show would not go at all during the weekend, I can attest to hearing it straight after the two o'clock news in the afternoon on Saturday, as well as 2.30pm!

Don't remember hearing it later, but I do re-call that on Sunday, CITI FM did rather well during the day. I guess this also was due to the fact that the Programmes Manager himself, who hosts a Seasons of Jazz on Sundays, from 9am to 12pm, was hosting the show, as paid particular attention to the ad not going on air.

Regrettably, later in the evening, around 6pm, we heard it. That's hardly too late at night is it?

I recorded most of the ad Saturday. Here it is: http://ekbensahinghana.tripod.com/citiFM-adX.wav. I have a transcript of it below:





"Join me , Jessica, on Monday 8 August as my panel and I strip the subject naked.

Have you been battling with questions of masturbation?

Send your questions ahead of time to sexintheciti@citifmonline.com.

Sex in the CITI goes live at 9pm sharp.

Sex in the CITI: your Monday night bedrock"





This is the letter I wrote to CITI:



Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 15:51:42 +0100 (BST)
From: "Emmanuel.K. Bensah"
Subject: Thanks for the programme--small complaint
To: sexinthecity@citifmonline.com, info@citifmonline.com

HTML Attachment [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

Dear SIr/Madam,

I am writing to complain -- not about the programme itself but -- about the explicit nature of the ads that are also aired at times during the day when children will be listening to the radio.

Children are now on holidays, and, frankly, I find it wholly inappropriate on CITI-FM's part that they should be playing regular jingles of what will come on the programme (oral sex, masturbation, etc...) during the afternoon and morning, when they could be playing it in the evening.

Also, last week, I called to register my complaint that the ad had been played throughout the weekend when children WILL be listening to programmes like "Every Home", etc.

It's scandalous, and I wish to stand up to my complaint.

I will not hesitate in writing/calling EACH and every single time they play the jingle during the day.

I am an active listener, and have followed CITI-FM since its inception in August 2004. I do not wish to see it sullied bymanagement NOT listening to the concerns of its audience.

What type of radio station would that make you?

Finally, when was the last time JoyFM had a programme like this. I know you are in competition with the said station, and I am afraid I will not hesitate to change station should you persist in not listening to concerns raised to you.

Best regards,
Emmanuel.K.Bensah



These are their two responses:


  1. 1. Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 11:03:45 -0500 (CDT)
    Subject: Re: Thanks for the programme--small complaint
    From: info@citifmonline.com View Contact Details
    To: ekbensah@yahoo.co.uk


    Dear Sir,

    Thanks for your comments.

    Management has taken note of it.

    CITI FM


  2. 2. Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 04:00:33 -0500 (CDT)
    Subject: Re: Thanks for the programme--small complaint
    From: programmes@citifmonline.com Add to Address Book
    To: ekbensah@yahoo.co.uk


    hi,
    you're concerns are being met and worked on...
    hope to satisfy everybody!

    thank you.




I think it is fair to say that they at least responded, but whether they see it just as ONE listener complaining is a moot point.

Check Bernard Shaw's quote above, and please, honestly, tell me whether I'm making too much of a fuss...

Toodle pip.

2 comments:

Elsa said...

"your Monday night bedrock"

What does that even mean?

I don't think you're making too much of a fuss; you wouldn't want you children listening to that and that's understandable.

Maybe you should take on the music industry next...
There’s this popular (Ghanaian) song that’s played at every Ghanaian function I attend. It’s apparently won loads of awards.
My sister and I call it the pedophile’s song
:-)

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

I believe it's by Obour, and Konkontiba, or maybe Batman's "Linda"?? You might want to check Ghanamusic.com, a rather sophisticated and tech-savvy site...:-)

Those were effing quick responses:-) Thanks for the support!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!