Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A Muscle Pull & a Funeral

I didn't actually *go* to a funeral, but I was at my Mum's uncle's place in airport residential (mostly where embassies are located, plus a slew of verdant views, replete with palm and coconut trees) bringing some money for a funeral.

Please forget scratching your head--and get a paper ready. When you are an up-and-coming young man (as I am ascribed to be), you are compelled to make a contribution when a member of the family -- no matter how remote or close they may be -- dies. The logic is that so that when your time comes, you will have a fitting burial.

Dad, Mum and I had a bit of brain-wave yesterday. More Dad actually, arguing that if the thing were more structured (with a secretary, treasurer, etc), it would facilitate transparency, as well help make people better-prepared for any unforseen death. Sounds like a swell idea, but seeing how out of sync these elders are with the 21st century way of doing things -- ie email, etc -- I wonder how successful we will be in conveying this brain-wave at the meeting I was asked to attend--despite the fact that I am at WORK at four pm!!

Can you believe I was asked to obtain permission (to which I tacitly acquiesced a reverential answer of "ok. I'll see...") from my boss at work so that I could attend a meeting of a relative of my Mum's who has passed on -- may he Rest in Peace--at the age of 78. Okay, could have lived longer, I understand, but come on, I hardly *knew* the guy...

So much for Ghanaian customs!!

Next time I get a call from my Mum's uncle (actually, my maternal grandmother's (whom we were very close to)twin brother), remind me not to pick it!

As for my muscle pull, no regrettably, I didn't get it whilst engaged in steamy session with my s.o. G__, but me trying to exercise;-) Can you believe that I haven't exercised in aeons, and so getting back to it (which I SERIOUSLY need to)--pretty much in a nod and wink to my post of today on my alter-ego blog Reflecting the Eccentric World of E.K.Bensah II--caused me some serious pain!

I did the bending exercise, where you hold a sturdy chair, and bend down for about fifteen times. My bones creaked. I knew I was diong the work, but, still, I am in effing pain.

Well, I still would have been had I not decided to do the proverbial turn over a new leaf, by doing some skipping, sit-ups and...what else, yes, leg thingy (pls see above)

In an echo of today's post, "rock on!!"

I'm in new -- not necessarily unchartered -- territory, and I LIKE IT!!

Why risk paying for a gym, when I get my own in my back-yard--and better still in fresh air??

Time for Action, Freshly-Arrived Denizen!

1 comment:

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

One whole EFFING year to bury your uncle? Sorry for your loss, but sheez, we really oughta change our style of burial. If we don 't wanna go the Western way of one-day and a funeral, then let's get it formalised, cos after a while, people just get bored...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!