Friday, July 30, 2010

RIP Mr.Godslin Atikpoe, of Gold Cab Services


It was never supposed to end like this.

I was supposed to call Mr.Atikpoe--a driver of Gold Cab services, which is a private taxi-hiring service I have been patronising for four years now--on Tuesday morning to remind him to come pick me up from work.

Instead I got hold of his wife who informed me she was taking him to hospital. Initially perturbed, I thought it would not be anything serious, and I silently believed he wold be fine.

In the evening, I called--hoping very much I could speak with him and find out how he was--when I got--yet again--a hold of his wife.

When she told me in vernacular that "he has come and done his bit on Earth", I knew the news was not good.

In my sister blog, Accra Daily Photo, I did a rather happy-go-lucky post about GOLD CAB SERVICES, which he was very loyal to. Godslin had been the one who informed me that British Black Cabs were coming down to Ghana to complement the fleet of cars that were operating under "Gold Cab".

The joviality of the post clearly belies my sadness for the person who I became very fond of. Mr.Atikpoe must have been in his early fifties, but he had such an affable disposition, and was so punctual it wasn't funny.

Anytime he came for me--wherever I might have been--he would come some ten minutes earlier and sit it out--not before calling me that he was there. We often spoke about common Ghanaian failings, and occasionally about his family.

Here's to you, Godslin Atikpoe.

Rest in Perfect Peace.

3 comments:

Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Rest in peace golden taxi man!

Anonymous said...

Didn't know about your second blog. Glad I found it. ;-)

Paz

E K Bensah Jr said...

Daniel--well-said!;-) Paz--been a while, Paz! Thanks for passing by;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!