Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Unbearable Lightness of Being...Broke!


These days--and it's not just because it's an election period--no matter how careful you are with your money, the primary considerations that enter your budgeting are:

1. credits for your phone
2. if you have a car, petrol. If not, transport

Given that quite a number of us own more than one phone, the amount allocated for units becomes all-too-high!

You might have noticed that my series on Westernisation was a non-starter on account of the comments I got when I submitted it to Ghanaweb.com. A combination of bad formatting by Ghanaweb and an attempt to get ideas from an article that might not have been fully-fledged all conspired to get me tremendous criticism from a large number of readers who called me unprintable names.

I still think it was great food for thought to fashion a better argument on the putative westernisation of Accra.

I am only really mentioning it at this stage, because I am wondering how even I whom many might consider middle class is "suffering" from the way money is spent so quickly and easily these days, I wonder how the "working class" and itinerant vendors are doing?

God have mercy on all of us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, GhanaWeb comments can be out there sometimes. Read your feature and you did raise some issues worth thought and discussion. (I'm surprised I missed it at the time, because I frequently read that site).

Next month, my husband and I, along with a friend, will be in your part of the world, staying near the infamous Spintex Road. Thanks for the info and insights you have provided over the years.

Also, have you been following the economic craziness going on here in the U.S. lately?

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Bernita--many thanks for your comments and kind words!

I am sure by the time you see this post, you'll already be in Accra with your husband.

I am happy to have helped and contributed with the insights!

I have been following the craziness, and think it is to be very expected at a time when the elections are creeping ever-so-closely!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!