Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Coming in June to this Blog: The Westernisation of Accra


To conceive of any kind of Westernisation of Accra is initially problematic, because it pre-supposes any Westernisation is negative.

That said, I find it difficult to avoid it, for the print and electronic media, along with my personal experiences can only confirm a perception that the westernisation is here in Accra--in grand style--and is here to stay.

Last Thursday's opening of the South African retail giant, GAME in my view has gone to cement any perception that the Westernisation--as exemplified by the individualise and consumer culture--is well and truly here.

Over the next few weeks, I shall be looking at the definition of westernisation in Ghana; including how technology; banking; life-style; and our values are changing--or not--as a result of this putative, or so-called, westernisation that I claim to see in my three years of being back home in what Bernard Avle of CITI-FM , receiving an award for the station (adjudged the best interactive show in Africa), in Kenya over the weekend for the BBC Radio Awards, called "the best country in the world"--Kwame Nkrumah's Ghana.

2 comments:

John Schaefer said...

Emmanuel, Thank you! This is a vitally important topic, and I'm eager to see what you come up with.

Are you sure it's westernisation and not modernisation? That is, do the things you are finding speak more to Ghanaians copying the West (or even being imposed upon!), or is it more the case that Ghanaians are changing their own practices and values to conform to Western models?

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Hi John!!

Many thanks for commenting! Been a long time...

It's funny you should talk about modernisation, because it's the exact thing my colleague suggested. I am going to try and make the distinction in any analysis I proffer.

I'm eager, also, to see what I can come up with;-)

hope all is well with you and the baby?;-)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!