Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Mid-Week Madness:Why I won't vote in Ghana's Elections

Most Ghanaians woke up to a tremendous downpour this morning, leaving many stranded at home for later than usual.

As I made my way to work, I saw a familiar queue--that of Ghanaians waiting to register for the ongoing biometric registration near my area.

I sucked my teeth in disgust.

Forget the fact that it's an important step in our democratic dispensation. I like to think that I take heart in not voting (as I won't have my voter's ID), because I am deadset against getting a voters ID when I have yet to receive my national ID card--promised to be distributed me back in August/September 2011. Why must I vote when I don't have my National ID card yet? Why was money not sought to ensure nation-wide distribution of cards had taken place? And why did our esteemed agencies not ensure that national ID cards would be the de facto form of registration?

Simply put: I won't get a voter's ID card when I don't yet have my national ID card. My national ID card will live LONG after elections are over!




          Check me out: http://www.ekbensah.net

1 comment:

Mckay said...

I share in your sentiments, but mind you the elections will still come on whether you register (vote) or not. For that reason, some of us with similar concerns like yours have registered just to enjoy the supposed benefits that comes with the voters ID - if it does have one anyway. therefore I urge u and all with similar issues to register, should the exercise be extended. There is only one Ghana thus lets exercise our franchise to get the right people in charge of our resources.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!