Friday, October 02, 2009

Chronicles of a Ghanaian Commuter: In Praise of Walking

Many people believe that middle-class types like those who blog about and in Ghana are all car-drivers. It's like if you can string a couple of sentences together that sound cogent, then you must be so well-educated that your disposable income is bursting at the seams. Syllogically, you must be a driver.

I got news for you: not all "middle-class" bloggers drive; some of us still commute-either because we cannot afford it, or because we chose to!

If you can get past the exclamation mark, you can, I suspect, also accept that one of the wonderful things about being a Ghanaian commuter is the freedom that comes with it.

For example, as I stepped out of the office for lunch this afternoon, I was able to hiss at a taxi that stopped and brought me here to A&C shopping Mall in East Legon. Had I been driving, I would have gone through the whole thing about getting into the car, mirrors, reversing, looking at petrol gauge and all that;-)

Yesterday, as I walked to my office--some twenty-five minutes away--from A&C, I walked with my tongue firmly in cheek: many taxi-drivers were hooting like crazy, expecting that I would concede defeat and hitch a ride. I waved my hand in a manner that indicated I didn't want a ride, and they firmly moved on.

Once I got back to the office, I thought, "yeah, this is good!" Forget that I got exercise and all that--and just think of the fresh air I got from it.

My humble suggestion is to one of these days, park your car, and walk. I know when I get kids, I'll be driving them around more than I expected, so now is my time to enjoy the walks!

4 comments:

Esi Cleland Yankson said...

Blogger here. But i think a car is a liability rather than an asset so i spend my money in other ways. I walk. And take tro-tro. I guess that puts me in the people who choose to category. It's a curious thing that u mention getting fresh air as one of the benefits to walking because the air is one of the reasons i'm not walking as much as i'd like. I find myself inhaling a lot of exhaust fumes every time i walk along the main streets. Sometimes i think the exercise i get and the fumes i inhale cancel themselves out :(

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Esi--many thanks for your comment! In fact, as soon as I finished the post, I remembered your walking encounter, where people were stopping you to propose marriage and whatnot;-)) You consider a car a liability? really? kindly explain that one...will u never go back to a
car?

As for the health implications, does it not depend where you are walking? A stroll round East Legon smacks of healthiness to me...but not necessarily around Tetteh-Quarshie!!;-)

Lady A said...

Fresh air? From what I heard of my fellow Ghanaian friends, they say the opposite. I have heard about the streets in Ghana and how much pollution it is especially from the Tro Tro (hope I spelled it right). I even heard how it is on the Tro Tro..not just car/van/bus bad fumes, but peoples "funes" as well, lol. Sound like a subway bus in NY to me, lol.

However, to each it's own. If you enjoy walking getting "fresh air" then continue. I haven't been to Ghana yet. Still working on my fante. But when I go, I will consider walking and not taking my Bentley, lol, lol, jk!

Esi Cleland Yankson said...

@Emmanuel,at the car being a liability thing, i think i've been brainwashed by "Rich Dad, Poor Dad". If someone else (like a company) is buying the car, then sure, i'll ride it. But my own money...i'm thinking i shd invest it in my business:)

Anyway, you're probably right about the quality of air depending on where u walk. I usually walk along the highway - if it can be called that - so i inhale mucho toxic fumes.

And the men who stop me, that has gotten old. I'm no longer amused by it. I just want to be on my way. Nice to know i'm still errm considered desirable by some Gh. men though. Does wonders for self-esteem:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!