Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Accra's Big, and We're Not All Gregarious! So, What's your Flavour?

There I was in the kitchen at work yesterday, speaking to a young, very personable and fresh graduate of the university of Ghana (at Legon), who is currently working as an intern in one of the organisations in the building.

We sat for what seemed like forty minutes. Despite her smiles--both wan and otherwise--I detected a quantum of solace around her life: her congeniality and intelligence (not to mention her good looks) precedes her--yet she seems unable (so she says) to network or make friends to live as fulfilling a life as she would want. She does have friends--and good ones it seems--but they're scattered across and outside Accra (as in Spintex and outskirts). On top of it all, all her siblings are outside.

What do I tell this lass about being more fulfilled [my words] in Accra? Any ideas--beyong further studies--to break what seems like boredom? I cannot help but think of the number of lovely, young people out there, like her, who are in the same soup.

Some might go the non-sensible way and do things out of character; others might just decide to leave the country altogether--by hook or by crook...

6 comments:

Esi Cleland Yankson said...

I'd love to meet her. We might find we have nothing in common-always a great way to begin a friendship

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Esi--many thanks for agreeing to talk to her. Let's hope you guys hit it off!

Selali said...

Sounds like my life, this one does. Already settled on the age old pursuit of seeking out greener pastures...hmmm!

But while I'm still here, hook me up too, why not? I'm always down with meeting new and interesting ppl, whether akin to me or otherwise...

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Hi Marie! Thanks for writing. How do I get in touch with you?

Musings Avenue said...

From my own personal experience, the first rule of making friends and networking effectively is reaching out. I used to be very reserved and shy( and I still am, to an extent), but I've learned over time to reach out. Most of us wait for people to reach out to us, to make the first move. It'd be great to meet her and help with my own 2 cents. It is possible to be extremely lonely in a room full of people.

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

inspirare--many thanks for your insight. The irony of the situation is that she is truly an outgoing person, but I guess where you are located in the capital can inhibit any kind of breaking out, of sorts, of your character--or confidence. What I mean is that if you are living in a part of the capital that makes it difficult to be sociable, then you naturally become a bit withdrawn...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!