Thursday, November 09, 2006

Darkness Falls in Accra(2), But Regulatory Commission Responds


Ghana's flagship regulatory commission, the Public Utilities Regulatory Commission (PURC) is no stranger to this blog--neither are complaints of darkness falling in the capital contemporraneously associated with what I have described as execrable service delivery by Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG).

If that all sounds heavy-handed to you, you might like to reflect a bit on the fact that yesterday evening, for no apparent reason--or so it seemed--lights went off around 9.30pm, whilst we were in the middle of watching All that Glitters on TV3. How we were unamused!

When the electricity came back on, it was around 11.50pm, just as Tv3's Gardener's Daughter was at a stage when it was exciting;-)

Seriously speaking, I called that evening to be told that there was -- yet again -- "a fault" and that the ECG people were on their way to the estates. That was around 9.45pm. Must have been a long trip for them to have taken a good two and a half hours to fix the problem, when they have experienced it many a time!

Anger and frustration aside, I contacted PURC this afternoon, on account of the fact that they had switched the lights off at 5.50am this morning. When I called my parents around 3.05pm, it was still off!

Philip, of PURC, contacted me around 3.22pm to tell me that a conductor was broken and that they were on it. This was after having called me at 3.17pm to tell me that he was trying to get in touch with them. He assured me electricity should be back on around 4.30pm. I have yet to call, but I suspect by time I get home around 6.30pm, it should have been restored;-) Fingers crossed!

tags:
;

4 comments:

Jenell : BlakIzBeautyful said...

Thanks for all the love yesterday.

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with anything that you have going on here.

I've read your posts, but I'm lost, maybe you can help me maneuver my way through your blog.

hope to see you around my place sooner or later

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Jenelly, nice teo see you on here! That's so ok: you don't have to be familiar with anything that's going on here:-) My blog is merely one of many blogs conveying how I'm living it up in my country after having lived outside for so long.

Theer are many frustrations--and understandably so--but I'm becoming more patient anad less expecting of what my country can deliver. Expect to say that many of the things that I thought would take so much time getting to Ghana are here already--like broadband internet, wireless internet, and other technologies that would surprise you.

Things do work in this country, and you might get the impression they don't when you first get here after used to the Western way of things, but you have to make noise, and ensure that it works.

Ghanaians are peaceful and peace-loving people, and that certainly helps in making living, loving here enjoyable;-)

Suffice to say, this blog is just me talking about trials and tribulations of living in my country, and reconciling 20plus years of living in Brussels with my only two years of living and loviing here!;-)

SO far, barring the frustrations, I'm seriously loving it!;-)

Anonymous said...

Dude - my sympathies. Customer service sux in other places as well. You're welcome to search my blog with the word "Videotron" to read my rants.

I know it's not much comfort, but I hope knowing you are not alone will make you feel better.

Cheers to you,

Beav'

Anonymous said...

hey, i was speaking to my mum and she said the light goes of almost everyday in Accra. is ECG still the only electricity company in ghana? your blog has really helped me to see what is goin on in the country...hope to visit soon

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!