Friday, February 24, 2006

24 February 1966--24 February 2006: Ghana's Day of Shame





On 24 Febraury, 1966, the first President of Ghana would be overthrown in a CIA-inspired coup whilst in Hanoi mediating peace. Today, 40 years later, Ghana remembers him.

I sent this text message to Bernard Avle's CITI FM Breakfast Show on Ghana's 97.3FM band:



ROPAB , a law to compel external ghanaians 2 vote was passed on eve of 40th anniversary of a coup that involved external forces 2 remove Nkrumah. Is the irony lost over you?--emmanuel, spintex



The host, Bernard Avle, regrettably, made a sarcastic comment: where do the{y} get these from?

He did say one thing right: "this text was sent by one of our keen listeners".

2.02pm update: I just gave Avle a call, and he said that the Minister (Apraku--Miinister for Regional Integration and Nepad who was there waiting for the programme INSIDE POLITICS) chuckled at what was perceived to be a discerning comment. Avle admitted to now seeing the jocular side. My point was not that the NPP administration passed the ROPAB deliberately on the eve of the fortieth anniversary of the 66 coup, but that irrespective of whether it was a coincidence or not, the IRONY was there! Good to have clarified things!!

2 comments:

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Point taken.

BUt you have been posting other entries on your blog, so you could have back-tracked to check whether I wrote something. Besides, I commented on this very blog--to which you ALSO didn't respond.

From where I am sitting, it LOOKED like you were dissing me, which I didn't appreciate.

Having said that, it was my error of judgement to have posted it on Naija, but I hope you understand the cause and effect here. If I had felt respected, I wouldn't have done what I did.

keep up the good work!

Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Hi, sorry for not having responded earlier; I do not believe in quid-pro-quo squabbling, so please beleive that it was just work pressures...

I take your full point, and I will do better to eml you (i realy didn't see your email address) next time I have a problem.

I still insist that you do do a good job, and actually disagree with Traez when he said that you should write something yourself. Summarising people's blogs is not an easy task, but we have people like you who continue to make it easier for often-times loafers like us to get a review--so thank you!!

I hope we can bury the hatchet; life is far too short.

Have a good weekend!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Footer Fancies

eXTReMe Tracker Who Links Here
Brochure Design - Small Business Bible
Brochure Design

CONTENT Copyrighted ©E.K.BENSAH II PRODUCTIONS. 1998-2010

BlogCatalog / StumbleUpon

My Photo Gallery

BlogCatalog Stuff!